Winter Storm brings PRECIOUS Family Time


This picture could be used for blackmail!!

Daddy & Mom Joyce outside La Gondola on their Valentine date.

For the last three weeks, we have had Daddy and Mom Joyce here with us! It has been wonderful to have this extended time with them. The ice storm that hit northern Arkansas was brutal. They went 6 days with no power, keeping warm and cooking over their gas logs. My sister and brother in law, Kim and Eddie, felt that the situation was making things more difficult for Dad and suggested that they come here for awhile. We were delighted!! While they've been here, Eddie and Kim have dealt with the damage, cleaning up, meeting insurance reps, getting trees topped, repairing light posts, and guttering.

I can't remember having this much time with my Dad since before I left home at 18 years old to go to college. It is clear that his Alzheimer's is advancing and tasks which were taken for granted not long ago are becoming difficult. People's names, which was one of Daddy's first complaints that something was wrong, are much more challenging. He recognizes someone from a picture, but can't always say their name. The next day he'll ask who they are again when looking at their picture, then says, "Oh, yeah, I know them!" A general physical feebleness is increasing.

For such an active and vital person as my Dad, this is so horrible to watch these things take place. From the bottom of my heart, I want to scream, "WHY? WHY? Why does this have to happen to my sweet Daddy?" At the same time, I've overwhelmed with love and the desire to help him and care for him. He allows that help now where he once was anxious to do things entirely on his own only a few months ago.

He's still very funny and humorous at times and always, always a gentleman. He uses his hands and motions much more than he speaks. When he does say something, he struggles, but he can come up with the funniest things and make us all laugh. His personality still shines through, sometimes when we least expect it.

The picture is from Daddy and Joyce's Valentine's lunch date at a nearby restaurant. He and I went early that week to buy Joyce's card, arrange for flowers and lunch reservations. This was extremely important to him that every detail for her Valentine's not be overlooked!!
Irby surprised me with a date to "La Boheme" on Friday night before Valentine's. While I'd often played parts of this opera for voice students, I had never seen the entire opera. It was lovely and the evening was perfect.

Irby and Daddy went with Joyce and I for pedictures on Valentine's Day too. What a hoot! Irby resisted at first, then when the chair action started relaxing him, he nearly fell asleep! He might actually go again! Daddy had been one time and had also resisted before going. He told Irby he was going to love it!

I will fly to Arkansas with them on Thursday, Feb. 19 to take Daddy to his neurologist appointment. This appointment will take place every 3 months now instead of 6 months, a recent recommendation by the American Medical Association for all Alzheimer's patients.
Thanks for your prayers and thoughts for my Dad and Joyce. Please pray for insight for our family as we week to give him a quality life with dignity as this disease progresses.

No comments: