We are having a GREAT time! We are catching up on lost sleep after spending the first night in the plane and getting used to the 7 hour time difference! After landing at the Zurich airport, we drove to Lucerne, Switzerland, to venture up Mt. Pilatus. I was just as scared as I was when here as a college student! It is 7000 ft. above sea level, but the view is amazing and worth being a little height sensitive! We took some amazing pictures. From there, we went to Tribschen, just outside of Lucerne, to tour one of Richard Wagner's homes. Then we went into the town of Lucerne, walked the picturesque streets, ate dinner, visited the wooden bridge built in the 1400's (picture above) and drove back to Zurich to spend the night.
Today we drove to Innsbruck, Austria, had lunch at a lovely, little outside cafe, shopped in the quaint shops, and drove on to Salzburg. The drives have been very pleasant...little villages and towns are tucked into the Alps with unique architecture and always a church with a beautiful steeple at the town's center. Tomorrow we will take the "Sound of Music" tour, and in the evening attend a Mozart Dinner Concert. There are several concerts and celebrations taking place in Salzburg for Mozart's 250th birthday. Since he lived in 2 homes in this charming city built on the Salzac River, there will probably be more people here than in the other two cities we've visited.
We rented a 9 passenger VW van and are traveling in comfort. I'll try to include a picture of it later...can you believe I forgot to take one? Irby's getting used to a manual transmission, the Europeans honking, driving VERY fast, learning to park in a garage largely meant for compact cars, and highway signs that give almost no warning before the "Ausfahrt." (That means "Exit," and we've had plenty of laughs over that word!) We've also laughed about the road maps I bought online which are very detailed and VERY large...they really should tell you the size! I had NO idea! John and I are navigating, but we have to attempt to get those huge maps into a more manageable size before we're any help at all!
As I knew in the past, and as my sister, Kim, reminded me earlier this summer, ice is a luxury here. We enjoy every small piece we get! We also fill our water bottles at the public fountains in the cities. The water is fresh, cold, and much appreciated. It is warmer than we thought it would be, even on Mt. Pilatus.
Love to ALL!
Today we drove to Innsbruck, Austria, had lunch at a lovely, little outside cafe, shopped in the quaint shops, and drove on to Salzburg. The drives have been very pleasant...little villages and towns are tucked into the Alps with unique architecture and always a church with a beautiful steeple at the town's center. Tomorrow we will take the "Sound of Music" tour, and in the evening attend a Mozart Dinner Concert. There are several concerts and celebrations taking place in Salzburg for Mozart's 250th birthday. Since he lived in 2 homes in this charming city built on the Salzac River, there will probably be more people here than in the other two cities we've visited.
We rented a 9 passenger VW van and are traveling in comfort. I'll try to include a picture of it later...can you believe I forgot to take one? Irby's getting used to a manual transmission, the Europeans honking, driving VERY fast, learning to park in a garage largely meant for compact cars, and highway signs that give almost no warning before the "Ausfahrt." (That means "Exit," and we've had plenty of laughs over that word!) We've also laughed about the road maps I bought online which are very detailed and VERY large...they really should tell you the size! I had NO idea! John and I are navigating, but we have to attempt to get those huge maps into a more manageable size before we're any help at all!
As I knew in the past, and as my sister, Kim, reminded me earlier this summer, ice is a luxury here. We enjoy every small piece we get! We also fill our water bottles at the public fountains in the cities. The water is fresh, cold, and much appreciated. It is warmer than we thought it would be, even on Mt. Pilatus.
Love to ALL!




No comments:
Post a Comment